We acknowledge the traditional custodians of this land, the Dja Dja Wurrung and the Taungurung people of the Kulin Nation. We pay our respect to the Elders both past and present for they hold the memories, the traditions, the culture and the hopes of Aboriginal Australia. We remember that under the concrete and asphalt this land was, and always will be, traditional Aboriginal land, another’s Dreaming.
1889 The Sisters of Mercy opened St Joseph's school with 65 pupils on the corner of Wedge and Yaldwin Sts.
1918 A new school for girls and boys was built on the corner of Hutton and Powlett Sts named St Mary's under the control of the Sisters of Mercy. Opened July 2nd.
1926 The Marist Brothers arrived on July 26th. The brothers and Sisters taught in St Mary's until June 20th, 1932. The boys were taught by the Brothers in the rooms along Powlett St and the girls were taught by the Sisters in the rooms along Hutton St.
1933 St Teresa's school, Jennings St was opened by the Sisters.
1950 To mark Dean O'Sullivan's Golden Jubilee the parishioners raised funds to purchase a large block of land on Edgecombe St. Kyneton. This parcel of land became known as 'Jubilee Oval'. Dean O'Sullivan had a vision of building a school on this land. Until this happened the land was used for recreational purposes.
1950 A Queen Carnival was held to raise money for new tennis courts on the newly purchased Jubilee Oval. At a later date, lights were installed. There was a St Mary’s tennis club that would play locally.
1967 Marist Brothers leave St Mary's school, Hutton St. The Apostolic Order of Carmel, the Indian Sisters came to St Teresa's to teach years Prep-2 and the Mercy Sisters teach Years 3-6 at St. Mary's.
1971 The Apostolic Order of Carmel left Kyneton.
1974 Senior students were now taught at St Teresa's, Junior students were taught at St Mary's because of the size of buildings and grounds.
1979 Decision made to build a new school to house all the students under one roof. The principal, Sr Mary Austin played a vital role in the development and planning of this new building.
1980 Building commences on the ‘Jubilee Oval’ site, Edgecombe St.
1981 Due to lack of space in both St Mary's and St Teresa's, the Year 6 students begin classes in St Mary's Hall.
1981 On June 12-13 The school moved from three premises into one. On August 16th Bishop O’Connell blessed the opening of St Mary’s School.
1982 The new school year begins with 1 principal and 11 lay teachers.
1983 Parents & Friends Association established.
1984 Mr Gerard Barake was the first lay principal appointed after approximately 95 years of the Mercy Sisters being in charge of primary education.
1989 The Library was officially named, The Sister Austin Library. This dedication was to honour Sister Mary Austin Curthoys in recognition of her valuable contribution in the establishment of this school building.
1998 Parish and school name changed from St Mary's to Our Lady of the Rosary.
2010 Outdoor passive play area built & main school building and offices refurbished.
2011 Multi-Purpose hall and refurbished library completed.
2014 New senior building completed.
2015 New junior playground installed.
2016 Major landscaping work completed, shade covers installed over both playgrounds.
2016 Outdoor Prayer space completed.
2018 New flag poles installed.
St Terese's school, Jennings St 1933
St Terese's school, Jennings St 1968
St Mary's school, Hutton St 1968
St Mary's Hall Hutton St, where Year 6 students were taught in 1981 before the new campus opened
Building commences, 1980
Completed in 1981
August 16, 1981
Sr Austin at OLR for the 30th Anniversary of our current site